Tech rules the Valley: Facebook

Written by Eric Epstein

Facebook,the third most visited website in the world, was founded by Mark Zuckerberg in February 2004. Originally, it was called “The Facebook” and was only available to Harvard students, but it soon expanded to a few more Ivy League schools as well as Stanford. In June 2004, Zuckerberg packed up and moved the company to Palo Alto, Calif. Following the website’s growing  usage  among college students, Zuckerberg decided to open Facebook to anyone with an email address in Sept. 2006. Facebook became explosively popular as the nation took advantage of the network to stalk exes, play arcade games and most importantly remember their relatives’ and co-workers’ birthdays. In March 2015, Facebook moved into an expansive 430,000 square foot campus on 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park. The facility is very eco-friendly it utilizes solar power and strategic placement of natural foliage to cut down on consumable energy use for heating and cooling. The campus houses over 3,000 employees but does not have a single cubicle or isolated office. Zuckerberg designed it this way to connect all of his employees, much like how his site connects people across the globe.