Departing teachers describe future plans, reflect on Gunn: Kathy Hawes

Written by Carolyn Kuimelis

Instructional supervisor and math teacher Kathy Hawes is taking a leave of absence next year to travel the world. Her desire to explore new places and her husband’s recent career change prompted the decision. “It seems like a good time to do some of the things we’ve always dreamed about,” she said.

Hawes is most excited to fulfill a life-long dream of hers: to see the ancient Egyptian Pyramids. “[Traveling to Egypt] has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid, when I studied the Egypt unit in school,” she said.

Hawes has been a teacher at Gunn since 1991, and has seen the campus become a more loving and supportive environment. The student body has impressed her with their ability to create initiatives like ROCK Club and “A Titan is…”

Although Hawes plans to return for the 2017-2018 school year, she admits that she will miss the Gunn staff and students during her time away. “I think it’s really the people that I miss, but knowing that I’ll be back in a year, it’s just going to be like a long summer vacation,” she said. “I’m excited to be gone, but I know I’m going to be excited to come back.”