High school survival guide: junior year

Written by Stina Chang

Junior year. After listening to scary stories from upperclassmen about late night studying and stressing out, it’s finally coming true. Don’t stress out yet, because I’m here to tell you how to conquer what you might think is “the most important year” of your high school career.

To start o the year, don’t feel like you have to pack your schedule with study- ing and extracurriculars all the time. e constant worrying and anxiety will stress you out even more than you already are. Instead, find ways to destress and relax, so that when those APUSH readings seem never-ending, or that big project deadline is just around the corner, you can take a step back and put things into perspective. If you are stressing out about that math test coming up, go out for a walk to clear your mind. I promise that you will feel so energized afterwards.

For the SAT and ACT—the two most dreaded acronyms—it’s okay if you do not get the score you want on your first try. You still have time to study because remember, you can technically take the tests over and over again as many times as you want (although you probably don’t want to pay that registration fee too many times!) Don’t feel like you have to get a perfect 1600 or 36. Good enough is enough.

With the presence of extracurriculars and school work constantly looming in your mind, stressing out is inevitable. It would be a lie if I said I didn’t struggle through junior year. erefore, it’s im- portant to have some order in your life. Try to limit internet/social media time because these activities take up most of your productive times. is will al- low you to have more time to sleep. You might also nd extra time to attend non- academic events such football games and school plays.

Lastly, it doesn’t hurt to reach out and be friendly to the underclassmen. Although the transition from being an underclassman to being an upperclass- man doesn’t feel that di erent, freshmen and sophomores do look up to you. Be a friend to them and answer any questions they might have.

Although junior year sounds scary at first, it’s going to be over before you know it. Time passes quickly once you get caught up.