Staffers review classic Halloween movies: Halloweentown

Written by Jenna Marvet

“Halloweentown,” the first of four similarly titled Disney Channel Original films, is a gift from the late 90s that keeps on giving. The film follows 13-year-old Marnie, her two younger siblings and her quirky grandmother Aggie, who mysteriously only visits on Halloween and is overly excited about celebrating the holiday. After eavesdropping on an argument on Halloween night, Marnie learns that she is a witch (think Sabrina but less fashionable). With her siblings, Marnie secretly follows Aggie through a portal to Halloweentown: a colorful place filled with generally friendly and strange magical creatures. Something dark is happening in Halloweentown, and Aggie and Marnie must save the town through a quest where Marnie will learn to hone her powers and generations will unite. Overall, Halloweentown gets four skulls for being an awesome blast from the past that still resonates with audiences. As a bonus, you can actually visit Halloweentown and meet the original Marnie in St. Helens, Oregon, where the movies were filmed at their “Spirit of Halloweentown” festival.