Campus appearance improves

By Emily Yao:

Gunn Beautification Day, sponsored by the Gunn Parent Teacher Student Organization, was a day to clean up and complete maintenance projects. On Dec. 3 from 9 a.m. to noon, students, parents and staff came together to make the school and the classrooms look better. The main parents and staff members in charge of organizing the activities were Sunita Verma, Tilak Kasturi and Assistant Principal Kimberly Cowell.

According to Verma, the work varied from fixing and painting bookshelves to pulling weeds. Besides those two projects, other tasks included cleaning blinds, washing windows in the Village, raking, pulling weeds and cutting vines in the organic garden.

A few days before the event, a group of parent volunteers, including Verma and Kasturi, had to make sure they had enough supplies in order for the event to run successfully. A few items on the list of necessary materials were rakes for sweeping up leaves and plastic gloves and paper towels to clean and wash windows.

Sophomore Anna Cabot, one of the student volunteers, enjoyed the experience. “I really liked meeting and talking with some of the people I worked with and raking leaves for hours,” she said. “Overall, it was a fun day with good food.”