Staffers search for promising local gyms: JCC

Back to Article
Back to Article

Chiara Jurczak, Reporter

As fitness continues to evolve and new workout trends emerge every day, it has become crucial to find a gym that not only provides basic equipment, but also makes you enjoy the overall workout experience. The Oshman Family Jewish Community Center (JCC) campus on Fabian Way manages to meet that need, thanks to its state-of-the-art equipment, experienced staff and wide array of other amenities it has to offer to its members.

After one short—yet somehow excruciatingly long—climb up the stairs, you will reach the fitness center. This relatively large gym features a variety of easy-to-use machines as well as some more complex ones for the more experienced and adventur-ous gym-goers who know how to balance against a wall without falling flat on their face. This diverse

assortment of options allows for a lack of lines as well as an opportunity for members of all fitness levels, from couch potato to marathon runner, to get a good workout. The equipment is clean—except for the inevitable sweat droplets and uncomfortably warm seats that all fitness establishments boast—but members are usually considerate enough to wipe the equipment with towels provided at the entrance.The space is quite spread out and has tall ceilings, which helps all of the unpleasant smells to waft up and out of the room.

A large part of why the JCC is such a pleasant environment arethe people working there. Between the personal trainers, janitors and other hard-working members of the staff , you are sure to have as agreeable a time as you can at a gym. If you are in need of a little help or motivation to get started or simply want to improve your fitness journey, you can choose from many personal trainers at the JCC. All of the trainers have different backgrounds and certifications, making it more likely for you to find someone that meets your needs. The trainers do their best to get to know you and your habits to come up with a personalized plan that you won’t have too much trouble sticking to.

A membership at the JCC will not empty your wallet, and they offer family discounts. However, it is a little pricier for the extra facilities and services other than the gym. These include—but are not limited to—an indoor kid pool, an outdoor (heated) adult pool and free classes such as cycling, cardio kickboxing as well as various types of yoga.