School Board Rep: Claire Cheng

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Board Rep: Claire Cheng

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

I am Claire Cheng and I am running to be your School Board Representative. High school should be a launch pad for all students to explore their interests without constraints stemming from policies or societal norms. We deserve an assertive voice in a body that makes decisions impacting us.

Goals/Positions:
Oppose making Computer Science a graduation requirement. We should allow students more choice in crafting their education. I don’t believe making a class required would create an engaging environment for both students who enjoy the subject and those who don’t.
Oppose the wide implementation of standard-based grading in its current form.
Support the promotion and expansion of advanced Social Science elective offerings.
Support creating a channel for students to gain access to issues discussed at the school board and offer their opinions. For example, attaching a summary of important issues discussed at the School Board on Schoology and having student feedback lunches and surveys.

Qualifications:
Worked with the administration and district representatives to create AP Human Geography. This included conducting surveys and drafting board resolutions.
Gave speeches during School Board meetings advocating for new AP social science courses and opposing the CS requirement.
In leadership positions for multiple clubs and organizations. I am responsible, dedicated, and result-driven.
I CARE DEEPLY about our school and affording all students the opportunity to take charge of their education.

I will represent the student body’s interest and take an active role to make our voice heard.