Studying at night provides more benefits

By Lydia Zhang:

Graphic by Alvina Yau:

Almost every student is, at some point during his or her high school, faced with a stubborn pile of homework that needs to get done and a clock that reads 11:30 p.m. So, the question often pops up: should students stay up as late as necessary to finish schoolwork? Or is it better to go to sleep earlier, and wake up a few hours before school to do the work? Though it does vary for each student, it is generally better to study at night than in the morning.

Granted, each person’s sleep schedule and study habits are different, so staying up to finish homework may not fit every specific student. People can be divided into three types: morning larks, those who naturally wake up early and sleep early; night owls, those who naturally sleep in and go to bed late; and regular robins, those who do not sleep very late or very early.  So it would be much harder for morning larks to do homework late into the night, and they would do better waking up in the morning to finish homework.

According to The Body Clock Guide to Better Health, however, most college and high school students are night owls, while morning larks are generally people over the age of 60. Therefore, students who do have heavy homework loads would most likely be night owls and would then benefit more from studying later rather than early in the morning.

In a purely physiological outlook, the body is better equipped to study later at night than in the morning.  Blood sugar is at its lowest in the morning, which means that students have less of an ability to concentrate. Not only that, but for most students, or at least those who are night owls, their peak melatonin levels are around 5:30 a.m. This increased level of melatonin, according to the National Sleep Foundation, will cause sleepiness, so at that time, anyone trying to study in the morning will have trouble focus  on the material or will simply fall back asleep.

Studying at night may also be more beneficial because night-studying will result in more retained information than studying in the morning. Though psychology teacher Alice McCraley does not recommend studying too late into the night, she does say that going to bed after studying gives the student the ability to better process and absorb the material they just learned.  According to McCraley, if one studies in the morning, retroactive interference—when new information and distractions make it difficult to recall material previously learned—may occur, and all the information that was previously memorized or learned will be forgotten. Instead, the learning done before bed will not be affected by retroactive interference, and so the studying will actually be effective.

Studying through the night might not work for everyone, but it will benefit the largest number of students. This being said, the best course of action for every student is to maximize efficiency and finish all homework and studying before it gets too late. According to McCraley students should get to sleep before 10 p.m., and she believes that, by getting enough sleep, students naturally become more efficient and alert. Even though an early bedtime will cut into the amount of time that can be spent on homework, the extra sleep can help students finish their homework faster and more accurately, which makes up for the lost time. All and all, students should try and avoid a pile-up of homework as much as possible, but if it is necessary to sacrifice sleep for studying, then it is better to study through the night.

12
View Comments (12)
$550
$1000

$550
$1000

• A

AkankshaJan 30, 2022 at 2:09 am

First I think studying in the morning is good .I can’t sleep early still I think I’m waking up early for studying but I can’t. Now I’m gonna study late at night. Thanks for the information..

Reply
  • V

Vivek koriyaJun 20, 2021 at 10:37 am

Study time is depends on the student
    But from my point of view
    Night study is Better than morning study because
    there is silent and quit environment
    which help student to focus more than morning

Reply
  • T

Theresa larteyMar 24, 2021 at 7:51 am

I can’t concentrate fully in class always my mind is some where else so please what should I do

Reply
  • A

AshutoshJul 13, 2020 at 1:28 am

According to me, I think that studying late at night is not good for a student..but yes, if he is comfortable & feels that the content he is reading is being understood by him & is gaining expected results its a good achievement..but I usually do the homework at night but not till late night, approx till 10 pm or max. 11 pm
    I prefer the learning portion in the morning time & also do the revision of the things taught the day before in schools or coaching centers..
    i think, so as it is the time we feel fresh and in a good mood to study!

Reply
  • D

DebeshworJun 24, 2020 at 8:42 pm

Thank you very much . I was very confused about this.

Reply
  • O

Oliver L. GayeJun 1, 2020 at 11:00 pm

I firstly want to be thankful to Mrs. Zhang for this article. I am one person who after my graduation from high school has experienced a change in my academic ability, and with more research have understood that it’s due to the change in my study time from night study to the morning. By I’m glad to know this.

Reply
  • I

Ifrah MukhtarFeb 10, 2020 at 2:05 am

I am a morning lurk. And for me i can concentrate better in the morning when everyone is sleeping because i am so tired at night so i wake up at 5 am in the morning get an energetic drink and i start working before my school starts at 8 30 am. Night time doesn’t work for me cause i get a bad headache so thanks for your information.

Reply
  • R

Robin SinghJan 21, 2019 at 8:43 am

I am completely agree with this Topic . Night studies are More Effective than Morning Studies . But it will not let you wake up for your school . I thought if u want to study Late Night Than you should Take Break First I mean i should take a sleep for 2-3 Hours before going to study .As In my Routine i used sleep from 8 to 10 P.M. After that i start My studies i keeps my Fresh And more ability to learn .
    You should Not compromise with your sleep . Its very Important . Thanks !

Reply
  • N

navaneetha krishnanAug 24, 2018 at 11:41 am

Thanks for your kind information, this may help us .

Reply
  • E

Evelyn W. MinnickFeb 23, 2016 at 11:38 pm

We all know the benefits of reading and it does not matter at what the time is. If we are studying the whole night it will helpful, but it won’t let you go to your school and as well as not good for your health. Try to complete your study before 12 AM. You can easily wake up around 7 AM. You will feel ok with your health and easily go to your school. Thanks!

Reply
  • S

sherryOct 7, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I am a complete night owl I usually study the whole night and I agree it is really helpful but the main problem is I can’t wake up early in the morning due to this I am late for school everyday and sometimes I bunk off the school and sleep the whole day.even though I put a lot of effort in studies my parents are not happy about my routine

Reply
  • Z

zishanFeb 27, 2014 at 6:43 am

first. i used to think that morning study is beneficial but after reading this content i have understood that night study is beneficial than morning

Reply