Central Coast Section Recap

By: Monica Cai

Wrestling: Girls’ wrestling produced a Central Coast Section (CCS) champion in freshman Cadence Lee (105 pounds), and boys’ wrestling produced another champion in senior Stefan Weidemann (152 pounds). Weidemann went on to the state championships in Bakersfield and finished 13th with a 9-0 dual meet record and a 28-3 overall record.

Boys’ Soccer:The boys’ soccer team ended the season with an overall record of 4-10-6 but did not make CCS playoffs.

Girls’ Soccer: The girls’ soccer team hosted the first round of CCS Division I playoffs and pulled off a win against Carlmont High School. Junior Alyssa Perreault scored the winning goal in the second 10 minute overtime period, ending the game with a score of 1-0. In the quarterfinals, the team lost to the number one seed St. Francis and finished its season with a record of 10-7-5.

Boys’ Basketball:
After a first-round bye, the Titans hosted Watsonville High School for the CCS playoff game. Gunn started out with a large lead and the game looked promising for the Titans. However, Watsonville picked up its game in the second quarter, and by the end of the first half had gained the lead. Watsonville came out with a win, ending the game with the close score of 64-61. The Titans ended their season with a record of 15-9.

Girls’ Basketball:
The Lady Titans earned a bye for the first two rounds of CCS and started the competition with a game against San Benito High School on Feb. 26 at Hartnell College in Salinas. The team played stellar defense throughout the game and maintained a lead in the game from start to finish. The game ended with a score of 50-26.

Against its next rival, Gilroy, the team had a tougher time and the score stayed tight the entire time. In the last minute of the game, junior Julia Maggioncalda and sophomore Nora Shevick both scored important points for the team, sealing their place in NorCals and the CCS Finals with a 43-40 victory.

For the CCS Championship, Gunn was pitted against cross-town rival Palo Alto High School (Paly). With two losses to the Vikings already, Gunn was more than ready to fight hard for a win. Unfortunately, the Lady Titans lost 54-44, as Paly controlled the ball for most of the game, using rebounds to rack up points.

Gunn was still guaranteed a spot in NorCals and on March 8 hosted Armijo High School. Gunn started out with the lead, but Armijo managed to gain some momentum and ended up leading 46-36 with five minutes left in the quarter. Although Gunn managed to close up the score, Armijo sealed the deal with two free throws in the last 30 seconds of the game. The final score was 50-49. The Lady Titans finished their successful season with a record of 19-7.