By Wayland Fong:
• 8 round hard peppermint candies (rushed preferably) • 4 scoops vanilla ice cream • 3/4 cups milk (try slim milk for less fat) • 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
4 cups | Total Time: 10 minutes
1. Crush the candies into pieces.
2. Pour the ice cream and milk into the blender. Pour in the candies.
3. Blend between 30 seconds and three minutes, based on preferred thickness (or use the classic milkshake cups and shake it up yourself).
4. While blending, pour peppermint extract in the mixture and distribute the extract evenly.
5. Pour into cups and serve for a tasty holiday treat.
Peppermint candy originated in Albany, Georgia as a Christmas treat to give out to children, family and friends. Now, people are putting a creative spin on this holiday favorite with desserts such as this milkshake. The peppermint shake is the perfect beverage for the holidays this year. Although many will choose to bake a pie or make cookies, try bringing your guests a minty surprise with a delicious, relatively healthy peppermint shake. Options such as low-fat ice cream and non-fat milk will make the shake a treat for everyone including weight-watchers, this holiday season. In addition, according to Food.com, many consumers prefer the peppermint milkshake’s delicate and light flavor over other desserts. Kick back with a nice cup of peppermint milkshake with your family this holiday season.