Teen dance planned for March

By Lawrence Chen:

Stemming from a desire for more teen-oriented community activities, Palo Alto youth groups will be holding a dance called Hit the Lights on Mar. 31 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at the Lucie Stern Community Center. The event, which is organized by the Teen Advisory Board (TAB) and is entirely student-run, will feature dancing, food and a variety of games.

The name Hit the Lights was inspired by the incorporation of black lights and lasers that will be used during at the dance. In addition, the group Tribal Existence will be putting up black and laser lights for the dance. The members of Tribal Existence are most notable for their lighting work at the Grammys. “People should wear white or fluorescent colors because they stand out in the black light,” senior TAB president Anni Liu said.

The dance will also feature student DJs, such as senior Soham Tikekar. “I have had the experience of DJing in the last few years,” Tikekar said. “It was mostly parties of 50 to 150 people, but nothing of Hit the Lights magnitude. It will definitely be a new experience and challenge, but I think the end result will be amazing.” For students who are not interested in dancing, there will also be various games such as Dance Dance Revolution and air hockey available for all guests to enjoy.

“Hit the Lights is for all schools in Palo Alto,” TAB coordinator Jessica Lewis said. “This will be more than just a dance. The police and YCS have been involved in bringing it to Palo Alto and giving lots of support.”
Tickets cost $5 per person and can be purchased by emailing [email protected] or at the door  the day of the dance.