Cooper’s Corner: Movie Previews

“Prometheus”

Ridley Scott’s “Prometheus” has been described as a prequel to “Alien,” taking place before the events depicted in the 1979 classic.  The film, kept largely under wraps, appears to focus on a group of space travelers who enlist the help of an android, David (Michael Fassbender), to discover the origins of man. An accidental finding on the voyage, linked to “an alien life form,” puts the fate of the crew as well as the rest of humanity at risk. As Scott’s first science-fiction film since 1982’s “Blade Runner,” “Prometheus” stands as one of the most highly anticipated film releases of  the summer.

“Brave”

Critics did not seem to enjoy “Cars 2,” released by the almost impeccable Pixar Studios to an unprecedented 38 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes. With Brave, Pixar has the opportunity to earn back its previously held critical prestige. The upcoming film, directed by Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman, is distinguished as the first Pixar film featuring a female protagonist, Merida (Kelly McDonald).  According to the film’s trailers, Merida must combat the traditional expectations for a princess in the Scottish highlands.  While not as of yet highlighted in the marketing, “Brave” is sure to include the audience-pleasing adventure element, utilizing its feminist tone effectively for this purpose.

“The Dark Knight Rises”

The details surrounding Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises,” the third and final film in the director’s “Batman” series, have been largely shrouded in secrecy. The marketing material thus far released indicates that in this installment, the Caped Crusader (Christian Bale) must “rise” from a decade-long exile to defend Gotham from the brutal, highly intelligent mercenary, Bane (Tom Hardy).  With the addition of Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman, a character who appears to serve as both an ally to Batman as well as an adversary to Bruce Wayne, it is recommended to view “The Dark Knight Rises” in an IMAX theater for the best quality possible.

—Compiled by Cooper Aspegren