TBN puts new technology to use, promotes app

This semester, Titan Broadcast Network (TBN), home of the morning video announcements, took steps towards improving the program’s visual content and accessibility by purchasing a new video switcher and releasing the TBN smartphone app.

With the new video switcher called the Tricaster 300, a device currently used in many professional studios, TBN can broadcast in high definition. TBN advisor Edward Corpuz believes that the availability and accessibility of the new technology is important for the students. “The biggest benefit of using the Tricaster is to allow students who are enrolled in broadcasting an opportunity to learn and use technology present in today’s broadcast industry,” he said.

In addition, the Tricaster 300, in conjunction with the green screen, will allow TBN to create virtual sets so that TBN can customize the setting of “The G” and project anchors in different places without having to spend more money on reconstruction or leave the confines of the studio. According to senior Andrew Gerber-Duffy, the Tricaster 300 will allow newscasters to be shown talking in front of a store without having to visit it, which would save time and allow TBN to allocate more time to focus on the content of the segment rather than how the content is shown.

TBN’s growth in technology also proves useful in accomodating students in several different situations, such as having a preparatory period or being late, that could prevent students from viewing the announcements live. In order to ensure and improve communication

the TBN Notifier for iPhone and Android devices. Bahl developed the app under his company, The Palo Alto Apps, and released it on Jan. 25.

With the TBN Notifier, students are not only linked to the Gunn TV website and TBN’s Facebook, Twitter and Youtube channel, but also notified about future events through detailed push-notifications.

Broadcast students believe this will help “The G” become more efficient by creating more time on the show for other updates. Another unique aspect about the app is the home page, which only shows the most recent message from TBN.

Although Bahl is working on allowing users to search for prior posts, he enjoys the simplicity of the page. “I think one of the most prominent features is the app’s intuitive and clutter-free home screen,” he said. Bahl is currently working to improve the app.

According to Bahl, one feature viewers can look forward to is a direct link to the daily bulletin.

Although the process may be arduous, Bahl is hoping to bring a live video-streaming of “The G,” in order to make the app more convenient and accessible for students. “Word through the grapevine is that we may get a new server that supports streaming to mobile devices,” Bahl said. “However, it is a rumor, and I don’t want to get anyone’s hopes up just yet.”