Hungarian Farfel Pasta

This recipe has been passed down through my family for five generations. It originated in a region near the Hungary and the Czech Republic border and combines the flavors of the region with a Jewish flair. My great-great-grandmother Rose started cooking this tasty dish and the recipe has been used ever since. This region was known for growing barley, and my family members ate this pasta dish as a substitute for barley when their stores were low or when they came to America where it was harder to find.  Therefore, this recipe works well with real barley grain and also with faro perlatto, for an Italian twist. Every year we eat this delicious side dish with our more “traditional” Thanksgiving foods. It compliments mashed potatoes and turkey very well. The measurements are very flexible, and when making this you should taste the pasta as you go. Sometimes we make this dish with real onions for a more flavorful end product.

Ingredients

• 2 cups of Manishewitz Barley Shaped Pasta

• 2 tablespoons butter

• 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic

• 6 cups of chicken broth

• 1 tablespoon onion powder

• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley

• salt to taste

Recipe

1. Brown the pasta over medium heat in a pan with the butter until it turns a golden color.

2. Add the garlic and stir swiftly until the garlic is fragrant but not burned.

3. Add 2 cups of broth and stir gently every 2 minutes until the pasta starts to absorb the broth.

4. Add the onion powder.

5. Add the rest of the broth slowly and keep stirring until all of the broth is absorbed.

6. Take the pasta out of the pan and place it into a serving bowl. Stir in the parsley. Serve while it’s warm.