Israeli Filet Mignon

After many years of celebrating Thanksgiving, I’ve had enough of the unfathomable amount of leftover turkey. I have already eaten enough turkey subs over the years that I don’t want to be forced to eat leftover turkey for three weeks anymore.  In more recent years, my family has been eating steak on Thanksgiving. For my mom, who does all of the cooking in the house, preparing a turkey takes multiple hours while grilling a steak takes just one hour: 50 minutes preparing and 10 minutes grilling. Our family has a nice 13–ounce filet mignon steak with mashed potatoes and gravy. There is also an added benefit: there isn’t likely going to be any leftovers, allowing for a variety of foods in the weeks to come. Not cooking a turkey gives a family the freedom of not eating turkey sandwiches, turkey casserole, turkey pot pies or turkey soup for the next month. If you think about it, how much turkey can one human being eat?

Ingredients

• 1 large-cut steak

• sea salt & ground pepper

• 1 whole white onion

Recipe

photo 2

1. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. If you’re unsure if you put too little or too much, go by the saying “if you don’t see it, you won’t taste it.”

2. Let the charcoal completely heat the grill. You know the grill is ready to cook when the charcoal pieces are white in color.

3. Rub some onion on the grill to clean it and

to prevent the steak from sticking.

4. Put the steak on the grill. Time is determined by preference and the size of steak. Try not to flip the steak over more than once and do not press down on it.

5. Let the steak rest for a few minutes to let all of the juices to spread out throughout the steak.

6. Cut the steak with a sharp steak knife to prevent releasing all the juices.