When I think of cabbage and shallots together, tasty is not the word that usually comes to mind. I’m not a fan of these ingredients, but when put together, it becomes one of my favorite salads. Vietnamese Chicken Salad is one of my family’s favorite dishes and we incorporate it into our meals during special occasions. My family came from Vietnam, so they grew up with this awesome recipe. During Thanksgiving, we make turkey, stuffing and all that, like most American families. However, we also order Chinese food from local restaurants because my dear family cannot live without it—the turkey is just a supplement to make it feel like a true Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving for my family is really just a big potluck of all our favorite foods. This salad is really refreshing, healthy and brings the whole Thanksgiving meal together.
• 8 medium chicken drumsticks
• 1 cabbage
• 2 shallots
• 1 bunch of mint leaves
• 4 tablespoons of vinegar
• 4 tablespoons of sugar
• 1 tablespoon of finely chopped garlic
• 2 small peppers, chopped
• 5 tablespoons of fish sauce
1. Boil the chicken drumsticks for 15 minutes.
2. Thinly slice the cabbage, shallot and mint leaves.
3. Mix the sliced shallot with 1 tablespoon of vinegar
and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
4. After the chicken is done cooking, let cool and
5. Place ingredients together. Add peanuts.
6. For sauce, boil water with the remaining vinegar and sugar.
7. Combine garlic and peppers. Add mixture.
8. Stir in 5 tablespoons of fish sauce