Winter sports stay fierce halfway through season

Girls’ Basketball

After a first place finish in CCS last year, the girls’ basketball team is 3-1 in the league and 4-2 overall. They are ranked fifth in the De Anza League. After a spectacular last season, expectations are high for the girls. “Coming into the season we had big shoes to fill,” said junior Paige Ogawa. “A lot of people doubted us, but as the season has progressed we’ve really come together. We’re stronger than ever.” The team has high hopes for the upcoming season. “We are really using this time to refine our skills and execution. We’re also preparing physically putting in extra time lifting and conditioning,” Ogawa said. The Lady Titans will play Mountain View on Tuesday, A After a first-place finish in Central Coast Section (CCS) last year, the girls’ basketball team is 3-1 in the league and 4-2 overall. After a spectacular season last year, expectations are high for the girls. “Coming into the season we had big shoes to fill,” junior Paige Ogawa said. “A lot of people doubted us, but as the season has progressed we’ve really come together. We’re stronger than ever.”

The team has high hopes for the upcoming season. “We are really using this time to refine our skills and execution. We’re also preparing physically putting in extra time lifting and conditioning,” Ogawa said. They are putting in their full effort in order to follow up their spectacular performance from last year, and also urge students to cheer for them as they reach for the CCS champion title again. The Lady Titans will play  against Mountain View on Tuesday, Jan. 28 in the Titan Gym.

Boys’ Basketball

Currently ranked third in the El Camino League, the boys’ basketball team is 2-2 in its league and 10-5 overall.

The team has been working hard on refining its technique and improving its overall performance this season.

“We don’t focus on just winning,” head coach Brandynn Williams said. “We focus on working hard and getting better and we know that if we do that winning will come.” Williams encourages the student body to attend all the home games in order to cheer for the team and boost overall morale. “When we play at home with friends and family cheering, we play a lot harder and do really well,” Williams said.

The team plays its next game at Gunn against   the fifth-seeded  team Monta Vista on Wednesday, Jan. 29.

Girls’ Soccer

Eight games into the season, the girls’ soccer team has a record of 4-2-2 and is in very good form coming out of pre-league play. Gunn is currently 0-1-1 in the El Camino League and hopes to win. Co-captain senior Michelle Carson thinks the team will improve its performance in the Santa Clara Varsity Athletic League (SCVAL). “In the future I think we will win our games, but we will have to work hard,” Carson said.

The Titans have a full roster of 26 players, with few changes from last year. “I think our team is really strong this year because we only lost two seniors last year, so there is already that strong bond,” co-captain senior Ming Ming Liu said.

The team’s next game will be against Wilcox on Jan. 27 at home.

Boys’ Soccer

Almost halfway through the season, the boys’ soccer team has an overall record of 3-5-1.

Senior Paco Covarrubias is confident better results will come; it is just a matter of time before the team can establish chemistry. “We have a bunch of really good individuals and if we can just work as a team, we will be a really good team,” Covarrubias said.

He thinks the team could improve on its defense. “It starts by doing well in practice, focusing and then executing during the games,” Covarrubias said.

The team will be playing its next game against Wilcox on Monday, Jan. 27, at Wilcox High School.

Wrestling

The varsity  wrestling team won 65-12 against Salinas High School, lost 44-33 against Fremont, and won 50-27 against Los Gatos. “We will be very ready by the time the league tournament arrives,” wrestling coach Christopher Horpel said. “That is our qualifier for CCS and the CCS is our qualifier for state.”

Senior Stephen Martin is aiming for state championships. According to him, the team improves after every match and learns from one another. “The main reward lies in the triumph of confronting challenges no matter how things pan out,” Martin said. “It’s about learning to not to fear taking a risk, even when you have an audience watching you.”

Last year, senior Cadence Lee helped the team place fourth in the CCS Championship and believes the team can do it again. “We take the season step by step and just focus on how we can improve ourselves in the next dual or tournament,” Lee said. “With this mentality, I think the team has the ability to place in the CCS tournament.”