Teen Arts Council provides platform for young artists

Written by Katie Russell

The Teen Arts Council (TAC), an organization to support and strengthen the local community of young artists, will host an event called the Point B Poetry Jam on Jan. 29 from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Palo Alto Children’s Theatre. The TAC regularly puts on similar events, including open mics, poetry slams and other performances, including its most recent effort, the Winter Showcase, a collaboration with the Science for Sight Club in the form of a talent show.

Junior Juan Santos, the TAC’s Gunn Ambassador, cites the organization and its events as an opportunity to become a part of a close-knit community. “[The TAC’s] goal is to get kids more involved and to use their art to benefit the community,” Santos said. “We involve teen artists in the community and help give back while still allowing us to practice what we love.”

Senior Miranda Smith, who performed comedy in the Winter Showcase, recommends participating in TAC events to anyone interested in the arts. “It’s a super inclusive community,” Smith said. “They do a lot of great work for the community that I don’t think always goes as noticed as it should be.”

Junior Annabel Marks has performed in two TAC-sponsored open mics, and plans to participate in more in the future. According to Marks, performing as a part of the TAC has opened her up to a new community. “When I first came [to Palo Alto], it was all math and science and physics, and even though I love those things personally, a lot of people, especially artists, don’t, and they may feel isolated,” Marks said. “The TAC is a great way to meet other teenagers like you.”

Santos agrees that the TAC has benefited him as a person. “It’s really nice to be in a community that supports the arts and loves to do that as much as I do,” Santos said. “It’s a unique experience to be with people who share similar interests, and it allows you to give back to the community in many ways, which is fantastic.”

The Teen Arts Council can be reached at www.teenartscouncil.org, on Facebook at  www.facebook.com/teenartscouncil, or by email at [email protected]. It meets every Wednesday at either Lucie Stern Community Center or at the Mitchell Park Community Center from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.