How to Enjoy Shakespeare

Written by Lisa Hao

shakespeare_stageWatch updated versions of Shakespeare’s plays. They are usually set in a more recent time period with characters that are easier to relate to.shakespeare_books

Watch some good renditions of Shakespeare. Go out to see Gunn’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” or (if you don’t have time) watch The Beatles’ “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” spoof on YouTube.

Read other genres. At Gunn, we mostly read Shakespeare’s tragedies, which usually can be incredibly dense. If you’re looking for a lighter read, read his comedies.

Watch famous movies that are based upon Shakespeare’s works. (i.e. “She’s the Man” is shakespeare_lionkingbased on “Twelfth Night,” “Lion King” parallels much of “Hamlet,” and “West Side Story” is based on “Romeo & Juliet”).shakespeare_mirror

Try to really connect with the characters. Many of the conflicts in Shakespeare’s plays are just dramatizations of real life. Who can’t identify with friendship, jealousy and desire?

Use “No Fear Shakespeare” to truly understand and appreciate the plot in Shakespeare’s plays.

shakespeare_sparknote