Jennifer Gao: U.S. Naval Academy

Jennifer Gao: U.S. Naval Academy

Out of the 20 million Americans enrolled in an undergraduate college in the fall of 2021, only 16,000 attended the U.S. Naval Academy, according to Statista. Gunn alumna Jennifer Gao is one of them.

While Gao spent most of high school playing water polo and writing for The Oracle, she discovered her interest in military service through a Naval Academy program called “Summer Seminar.” “I really liked the people that I was with,” Gao said. “They really sold the whole military concept for me.”

Gao highlights that the Naval Academy application process is incredibly rigorous. Aside from the Coast Guard Academy, all U.S. service academies require a Congressional recommendation in addition to strong academic performance; applications for a recommendation can be found on the website of most members of Congress. “The process is very long,” Gao said. “It was like applying to five different colleges in a singular application.”

For students concerned about the military college application process, Gao recommends focusing on school and yourself. “Continue getting good grades, developing yourself physically and getting involved,” Gao said. “Do the things that you love and that would look good on your record. The Naval Academy likes seeing leadership, and I was the Managing Editor of The Oracle and captain of the water polo team.”

During Gao’s first year, typically referred to as “Plebe Year,” she faced pressure from upperclassmen to perform well. “Plebe Year is the year where people put you down and try to put you back up as a leader,” she said. “All the upperclassmen are watching you and evaluating you until you become a better midshipman.”

Gao found Plebe Year to be the most challenging year of her education. “It’s the hardest part of the Naval Academy by far,” Gao said. “Especially during COVID-19, [Plebe] was bad in terms of academics and my social life because I [was] stuck in my room all day for an entire semester doing homework.”

Gao is now a sophomore, and she has since adjusted by joining the Naval Academy’s water polo team and yearbook group. “I’m happy here,” she said. “I got [transferred] into a different company, and I have a pretty solid friend group. Plus, it’s free college and a super good education.”

After graduation, Gao will have a five-year active duty service requirement in either the U.S. Marines or U.S. Navy as an officer. However, she is not worried about the commitment. “If you already went through four years of school, what’s another five years?” Gao said. “Plus, as an officer, you’d be meeting people, getting paid for housing and getting free Medicare. It’s pretty nice.”

In the future, Gao hopes to get an M.B.A degree from Stanford University or find a job in Silicon Valley. She is currently an Operations Research major at the academy. “It’s a mixture of math and coding,” she said. “They say the Naval Academy’s the #1 public college for STEM and engineering.”

Gao offers advice for seniors who want a unique post-graduation experience. “If you’re looking for a challenging college experience or friends that will last you a lifetime, then definitely apply to the Naval Academy,” Gao said. “It’s a really good career path if you don’t see yourself going to a 4-year traditional college. I’m not really a military type of person, but here I am.”

$550
$1000