Event Previews

San Francisco Pride Parade: Jun. 24

Every year San Francisco holds a parade to celebrate diversity and give support to the LGBT community while eradicating ignorance and discrimination. Join the love with this year’s San Francisco Pride Parade, where the theme is “Global Equality.” Anybody who wants to participate in the event can apply at http://www.sfpride.org/parade/. For those who want to be more involved in the parade, a free float-building workshop will be provided. Other features of the parade include performances, floats and animals.  Remember that this is a parade about accepting others, so don’t hate, love!

Chili Cook Off: Jul. 4

A grand tradition, the Chili Cook Off will take place this 4th of July in Palo Alto. It will be held at Mitchell Park and there will be more than enough chili to fill hungry stomachs. Last year there were many live performances from the band Johnny Super, and DJ Joe Sheldon. Line dancing was led by Hedy McAdams, and children enjoyed jumpy houses, balloon artist and face painting.

Garlic Festival: Jul. 27-29

This next event will require a longer drive, as it is the Garlic Festival which takes place in Gilroy. The drive will be well worth it, as there will be tons of food, vendors and, of course, enough garlic to scare away a family of vampires. Every day there will be different live music performances, with some groups set in a certain area of the festival and some groups who stroll around creating music for all to enjoy. Activities like ceramics and  drawing will be available.

—Compiled by Erica Lee