Key Club member participates in Mr. Key Club Pageant

Junior Dylan Huang represented Gunn in the seventh annual Mr. Key Club pageant held at Palo Alto High School on Jan. 25. The pageant was an opportunity for male and female Key Club members alike to come together, meet members from different chapters,  have fun, and fundraise for an important cause.

Key Club is an international, student-led organization. Members volunteer their time and services for their local communities. Sponsored by the Kiwanis Organization, which raises money for underprivileged individuals, Key Club brings together all club members to impact and make a difference in the community. “We help students find ways to get volunteer hours and teach them service and what it’s all about,” club president senior Stacy Chang said. Every week the club meets to discuss past events and plan future ones.

For the first time in Key Club history, the 34 south and north chapters of the California division joined forces to put together their largest pageant yet.

The contestants participated in a variety of events that were categorized into four main groups: fashion, talent, trivia and spirit. The beauty portion of the all-male pageant comprised of a swimsuit and formal-wear contest. Fun activities such as a “chubby bunny” challenge made up the talent portion of the contest.

Huang believes the pageant was an informal way to have fun and interact with people from different schools, all with a common goal. “The overall experience was friendly because I met new people and got to joke around backstage,” he said.

Chang is appreciative of being exposed to a new way of helping the community. “The pageant is an important opportunity to get the divisions together, get to know others in your community, and show your spirit,” Chang said.

The Mr. Key Club pageant raised $168, which was donated to the Eliminate Project, a group that works to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus. With an audience turnout of about 40 to 50 people, the pageant was a great success and the club members raised more money than last year. “Social events like the pageant give Key Club character,” pageant division leader Alec Deng said.

According to Chang, the Mr. Key Club pageant instills leadership qualities and spirited participation into its participants. The members incorporate these values of community service into other facets of their lives. “I learned how to be a good leader and organize myself efficiently,” Chang said. “I’ve learned so much about others and what service is all about. “