Staffers critique various protein supplements

Written by Clara Kieschnick-Llamas

QuestBar: S’moresenergybar1
This bar is a great option if you hate yourself. I have no idea who thought that this tastes like s’mores, but it definitely doesn’t. The texture and the taste resemble mass-manufactured, compressed baby food. The taste just gets worse as time passes. However, you do get 20g of protein for only 180 calories, one gram of sugar and a lot of regret.

Muscle energybar2Pharm Combat Crunch: chocolate chip cookie dough
Combat Crunch was named best protein bar by bodybuilding.com, where it gets stellar reviews by almost everyone. It claims to be “Clean. Innovative. Delicious!” It was awful. It had a nice crunch at first, but was extremely chewy in the middle. It tasted fake–definitely not like cookie dough.

Clif Builder’s Protein: chocolate peanut butterenergybar3
This bar was definitely the best of the ones I tried–you get 20g of protein for 280 cal, which is much more than the other two, so it’s not a surprise that it’s better–but it was still disgusting. It genuinely tasted like peanut butter and chocolate, but the aftertaste was of stale peanuts (the chocolate initially managed to cover that up). I wouldn’t eat it willingly, though. 

View Comments (1)
$550
$1000

$550
$1000

• M

MariaApr 2, 2017 at 10:31 am

I really enjoyed reading this honest, amusing and very articulate review, keep’em coming!

Reply