Change in seasons calls for wardrobe update: Feminine style

Photo by Sofia Sierra-Garcia

Photo by Sofia Sierra-Garcia

Photo by Sofia Sierra-Garcia

Yael Livneh, Centerfold Editor

Have you ever stepped on campus and immediately gotten frostbite from what feels like subzero temperatures, only to get slammed by heat stroke just a few short hours later? If yes, you are not alone, my friend. In our lovely state of California, fall fashion is a mix of style, comfort and intense thermoregulation. The transition between seasons is going to call for a change of wardrobe, and I’ve lived here long enough to know how to tackle it—or at least attempt to.

My sense of fashion isn’t all that impeccable. I’m known for my almost obsessive collections of sweatshirts—nearly 40 at this point—and long, patterned socks. I tend to value comfort over style, and would rather roll up to school looking like a cozy gremlin than try an “out there” outfit that makes me appear like I just stepped off the 2031 Paris runway. In order to survive temperatures above 70 degrees Fahrenheit, I have to pull out my one pair of denim shorts that still fit me and every nice top I own. Like a true gladiator, I have survived 17 such ordeals; however, every single time I am forced to come to terms with the fact that even though California’s autumn isn’t all that different from its summer, they’re just distinct enough to warrant a change in fashion.

In these trying times, the key to survival is layering. Lots and lots of layering. Think you have enough? Think again. Only wear

Photo by Sofia Sierra-Garcia

ing a singular sweatshirt over a long-sleeved shirt? You’re going to be frigid in the mornings, but sweltering in the afternoon. Stock up on jackets, light sweaters and long-sleeve tops so you can easily slip out of a zip-up during a quiz or slide a sweater on during a lecture instead of suffering from hyperthermia. Long socks will also keep your ankles warm and stylish, and keeping a scarf in your backpack might be your lifeline in a particularly cold classroom.

As the leaves turn shades of red and orange, my socks begin to creep up my ankles, transforming from no-shows into crews. My favorite pair of jeans are also no longer a denim prison, but a welcome barrier to the biting cold. T-shirts transform from a lazy commodity to a strategic outfit choice: an easily layered piece that can be dressed up or down. My plethora of quarter-zips and sweatshirts find themselves transferred to the front of my closet, ready to be thrown in the trunk of my car once a chilly October morning becomes an involuntary field trip straight into Death Valley come lunchtime. Keeping your body at a temperature that allows it to maintain homeostasis comfortably is imperative to surviving this fall season, but you don’t have to sacrifice looking good for feeling good. Experiment with cute jackets and tops, or a new style of jeans you’ve never tried before, but if a lapse in judgement causes you to get a little chilly, just let me know and I’ll happily share my wealth of hoodies.