Enhance your workout with tips, tricks

Back to Article
Back to Article

Enhance your workout with tips, tricks

Josh Mei, Reporter

Chance over Chopin:

Don’t exercise to the violin rendition of John Legend’s “All of Me.” Trust me, I’ve tried. Create a separate playlist with good pump-up songs to help you get into the zone. Luckily for you, The Oracle staff has compiled the perfect workout playlist to help get you started. You’re welcome.

Eat the right things:

According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services (USHHS), adolescents find 40 percent of their total daily calories in the form of added sugars and solid fats. These empty calories are not helping you get swole and will hold you back. Know what you’re eating to have enough energy after workouts and repair your broken muscles. Also, make sure to always keep hydrated and bring a reusable water bottle with you to your workout.

Mix it up:

Vary the exercises you’re doing. Experiment with new machines and exer- cises. Maximize the muscle groups you target, and remember to factor in off-days to let your muscles recuperate. There’s a whole world of equipment and new exercises, so don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. And please, for the love of God, don’t skip leg day.

Set a workout schedule:

It’s much harder to talk yourself out of gym-time when you have already carved space for it into your schedule. It doesn’t matter whether it’s working out after school in the Gunn weight room or running laps around the neighborhood after dinner, but setting a standardized practice schedule that you can commit to will go miles and keep you consistent and on pace towards your goal.

Stay focused:

We all know those people who love to sit on the workout equipment and send snaps to flex their #gains. You’ve got to make sure your crush knows you’re fit, I get it, but make sure you have something to show for all your weight room sessions too. General rule of thumb, go at least four reps of working out for every rep of Snapchat.

Find a buddy:

Find a friend who is eager to get fit and start working out with you, or tag along with a senior gym-goer the next time they hit the gym. According to bulkpowders.com, having a buddy at the gym can help boost motivation and performance. Having someone to spot you can also help prevent any potentially gruesome injuries, which is probably good, right?

Set measurable goals:

This can help you track your milestones and stay motivated. Goals such as “get fit” are too general and can cause you to lose vision. Instead, set measurable goals with a timeline, such as lose 10 pounds by May or run a sub-seven-minute mile.

Take a class:

Don’t be afraid to mix it up sometimes. If you find yourself getting bored with the same old routine, try a fun class such as Zumba at your local gym. It can be a unique experience in contrast to your typical regimen.