New electives provide more options for diverse interests

It’s that time of the year again: course selection! The Electives Fair, originally scheduled for Monday, Feb. 4, was moved to Wednesday, Feb. 6, due to poor weather. During the Electives Fair, teachers were able to talk to students and promote their courses. Online Course Registration will be open from Feb.4 to Feb. 25. The Oracle organized course selection resources and information on the new courses and programs at Gunn for the 2019-2020 school year.

Social Justice Pathway:

Only rising sophomores can enroll in the program for the 2019-20 school year. It is a three-year program (sophomore to senior year) that focuses on the principles of freedom and justice. Juniors will choose and complete a social justice project topic in the Advanced Authentic Research (AAR) or AP Seminar course. Students will continue to explore their projects from junior year through AAR or AP Research. Students in the program will take English and Social Studies courses that are designed to be taught through a social justice lens.

(for more information, visit page 74 in the course catalog)

AP Human Geography:

This year-long course is open to rising juniors and seniors. Students will analyze human social organization and its environmental consequences. The materials teach students about the study of patterns and processes that have molded human use and alteration of the surface of the Earth. Additionally, they will also learn about the tools used by geographers.

(For more information, visit page 34 in the course catalog

Audio Music Production I: 

This is a blended learning course that is open to rising sophomore, juniors and seniors. The course focuses on the aesthetic qualities of sound production and the influence of audio technology in society. Students will have the opportunity to develop their ideas by producing, recording, composing and editing using software programs such as Logic Pro, Pro Tools, Ableton Live and Adobe Audition. Also, students will produce a variety of songs and podcasts. The course will prepare students for careers in music engineering and production, post-production for film and television, and live sound-mixing for theater and concerts.

(For more information, visit page 13 in the course catalog)

Media Leadership & Management Graphic Production:

This course is only open to rising seniors who completed Beginning Journalism and a full year of Advanced Journalism. Students will have the opportunities to explore, reflect, and analyze their roles as leaders and managers. There is minimal homework and there will be summer reading assignments.

(For more information, visit page 15 in the course catalog)