Leaving teachers share memories, advice for students: Toni Smith

Graphic by Shannon Lin and Audrey Tseng

Math teacher Toni Smith plans to leave Gunn next year and begin teaching in Irvine, California at Portola High School. “The school I am going to is relatively new,” she said. “They don’t even have a senior class yet, next year will be their first [senior class].”

She is looking forward to being with her family and is currently signed up to teach advanced math classes at her new school. “Their classes are a little bit different [than Gunn], since they have integrated math,” she said. “I think I am going to teach Math two and Math three.”

At Gunn, Smith played a large role in the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) and Distributive Education Clubs of America (DECA) clubs. She hopes to continue to be involved in these clubs once she moves. “I plan on opening one of the clubs at Portola High School,” she said. “It’s one of those things that really connects students to the school.”

At Gunn, she will miss the night rallies and students she has met the most. “I just love seeing the kids, because when they learn something they get that  spark in their eyes when they finally understand,” Smith said.

Smith believes that the biggest adjustment she will have to make is teaching without Smartboards. “They’re a high-tech school with no Smartboards,” she said. “I’m not quite sure what I am going to do with that.”

Smith hopes to keep teaching for at least six more years. “As long as I continue to love what I am doing, I plan to keep on teaching,” she said.