Your questions about distance and hybrid learning answered

Last night, the school board voted unanimously to approve a hybrid reopening plan for middle and high schools. As such, students will have a week to choose either hybrid or distance learning for next semester through a form opening today and closing on Nov. 18. Here’s the breakdown between the two options, according to information from last night’s board meeting. 

For more information, Student Executive Council (SEC) will be hosting a town hall with Principal Wendy Stratton, Palo Alto Unified School District (PAUSD) Board Member Melissa Baten Caswell and English and social studies teachers on Friday, Nov. 13, from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. Access the webinar at tinyurl.com/gunnreopening

What does the hybrid option look like?

Hybrid learning will consist of both in-person and online school. Two periods—social studies and English classes—will be held in-person twice a week. Students choosing hybrid will be placed in stable cohorts of around 30 to 60 students and two to four teachers. 

A single class will have around 15 students; these 15 students will stay together for both English and social studies periods. Despite a cohort size of 60, students won’t necessarily be able to interact with 59 other students; instead, students will largely interact with 14 other students and share teachers that go between multiple classes—thus constituting a “cohort” for quarantine purposes. 

While on campus, students will have to wear a mask and socially distance, as well as complete mandatory daily health screenings (these screenings are not COVID-19 tests and will consist of answering health-related questions). 

All other classes will remain online, and students’ schedules and teachers will likely change. The district projects 30% of students will choose to return under the hybrid model—if significantly more than 30% of students choose the hybrid option, a “lottery” system might be implemented to select which students can return to campus. 

What are the benefits of the hybrid option?

The hybrid option will allow in-person social interactions. PAUSD board members have pointed to mental health issues being exacerbated during virtual learning, and in-person classes will certainly offer opportunities for students to interact with peers, albeit with masks and social distancing. However, students with classes in the morning will not be able to stay on campus for lunch. 

The hybrid option will likely benefit students finding it difficult to learn over Zoom. In-person instruction may solve issues such as technical glitches or awkward Zoom interactions. 

What are the drawbacks to the hybrid option? 

You can’t choose the people in your cohort. Cohorts will be randomly assigned; as such, you won’t necessarily be placed into the same cohort as your friends. 

Many details in the hybrid model are uncertain. For example, if a student is simultaneously taking AP Psychology and AP Economics (both social studies courses), it is unclear what will happen, as the hybrid model only allows for one in-person social studies class. “The site will have to determine that based on the space available,” said Associate Superintendent of Educational Services Sharon Ofek, in response to a question about such a situation during last night’s board meeting. 

It’s unclear if in-person learning will be more effective than distance learning. In explaining the rationale for reopening schools, PAUSD board members argued that in-person education is superior to distance learning. However, Escondido elementary school teacher Elena Melendez—who has been teaching in-person since mid-October—disputed that claim during last night’s board meeting. “We have kids that are masked up [and] hiding behind Plexiglass dividers at their desks,” she said. “They cannot see each other. They cannot see the board because of the glare off the Plexiglass. Only the loudest students can be heard and participate in class.”

From a scheduling standpoint, if many students choose the hybrid option, it’s more likely schedules and teachers will be drastically changed for everyone. Conversely, if a large majority of students choose to remain in distance learning, schedules and teachers will be less affected. 

Many classes that would benefit from in-person instruction—such as lab-based science courses—will still be held virtually. Under the hybrid model, only English and social studies classes will be held in-person. (These two subjects were chosen because all students take the same few English and social studies courses, making stable cohorts easier to facilitate.) 

In-person instruction inevitably carries a risk of COVID-19 infection.

What will distance learning look like?

Distance learning will be mostly the same as the current system in place for the fall semester. However, due to some teachers being allocated to teach in-person classes, English and social studies classes held virtually could potentially increase to up to 39 students per class. 

What are the benefits of distance learning? 

Distance learning will be mostly the same experience. Students already familiar with distance learning should have little trouble adjusting to next semester. 

Students will be physically safe from COVID-19 infection while taking Gunn classes. 

What are the drawbacks of distance learning? 

English and social studies class sizes will likely increase. Larger class sizes will translate to less individualized teacher attention. According to Associate Superintendent of Educational Services Sharon Ofek, it’s unclear exactly how large virtual class sizes will end up, but the maximum number of students allowed in a single class will be 39 people. Note, however, that only English and social studies classes should increase in size; all other classes will remain unaffected.

The problems already associated with distance learning will continue. Issues such as poor internet connections, technical glitches and lack of in-person social interaction will persist. 

What will change next semester, regardless of my choice? 

Your schedule and teachers will likely change next semester. Both distance and hybrid students will likely experience schedule and teacher changes due to the logistics of schools shifting to a partial hybrid model. As a general rule, the more students that choose hybrid, the more schedules will be drastically affected. Although only English and social studies classes are slated to increase in size, all classes can be affected by schedule and teacher changes. 

Your choice is binding. Regardless of whether you choose to remain in distance learning or to return in-person under the hybrid model, your choice cannot be changed and will apply for the entirety of next semester. If you fail to respond to the form, you will be placed in distance learning as a default. 

Where can I get more information?

Student Executive Council (SEC) will be hosting a town hall with Principal Wendy Stratton, PAUSD Board Member Melissa Baten Caswell and English and social studies teachers on Friday, Nov. 13, from 3:15 p.m. to 4 p.m. Access the webinar at tinyurl.com/gunnreopening.