Second Everytown held in February

By Erica Lee:

For the first time ever, Gunn held a second Camp Everytown during the spring in conjunction with Paly. This combined camp was held from Feb. 29 through Mar. 3. While Gunn usually does not have a second Camp Everytown, since Paly was short on delegates, they invited Gunn to join them. Since there had already been discussion about holding a combined camp, Gunn decided to jump on this opportunity.

“I think it will be a great match for both schools and will hopefully lead to a great Camp relationship,” Education Director of Silicon Valley FACES Amanda LeBlanc Freeman wrote in an email. When some students heard that Paly students would be joining then, they were initially skeptical.  Afterwards, however, students found the combined camp to be a great experience. “I’m so glad it was with Paly because now I have so many new friends who I never would have known otherwise,” sophomore Leyla Carefoot said.

Another Camp Everytown event called “An Evening in Everytown” is also making its way to Gunn. This mini-camp will happen on April 13 at the end of Not In Our Schools Week. “It will be an opportunity for camp alum and students who are sophomores, juniors and seniors who did not get to attend a full camp to get a taste of the values and lessons of camp and to have some fun,” Freeman wrote. “We are also looking to bring more of camp back to Gunn’s campus to make a long term impact on creating the society we want to see.” Camp alumni will be recruited to help with the night, while students who have not yet been to camp will be nominated to join the event.