Gunn SEC organizes first-ever Spring Homecoming Week

Graphics by Michelle Koo,

Gunn’s Student Executive Council will hold its first Spring Homecoming Week, known as SPROCO, from March 12-15.

In contrast to past spring spirit weeks, which have usually included schoolwide dress-up themes and lunch activities, SPROCO will be similar to Homecoming Week, with daily grade-specific dress-up themes and games during brunch, lunch and PRIME.

Some brunch and lunch games — such as Balloon Stomp, in which participants attempt to pop as many of their opponents’ balloons as possible — are repeats from Homecoming Week activities. Others, such as Obstacle Course and Pool Relay, will be reworked versions of
their Homecoming Week counterparts. The week will also feature completely new events: In Pizza Noodles, competitors will hold a pizza box in their palm while trying to knock others’ boxes off with a foam pool noodle.

According to organizer senior Chris Lee, school board representative and managing editor for The Oracle, SPROCO emerged from an SEC impact project, in which SEC members create a new event, initiative or system that benefits the student body. Senior Class Vice President Naya Nebriaga is also on the SPROCO team and has high hopes for student engagement.

“Because seniors tied (during Homecoming Week) this year, I think that was more of a driving force to make (SPROCO) actually happen,” she said.

SEC created a reveal video for SPROCO, released during PRIME on Feb. 28. The video featured Lee and Nebriaga in a flashback to October’s Homecoming Week and teased some grade-specific themes — including “Homecoming Deja Vu,” in which the dress-up for each grade is pulled from October’s homecoming.

“At first, it was difficult coming up with an idea because we’re not revealing a theme — we’re revealing the week itself,” Lee said. “But I actually think that worked out better in the long run because we were able to start from a blank slate and have a more creative plot.”

Through this reveal video — past ones have helped publicize schoolwide events — Instagram posts and posters around campus, SEC hopes to increase and participation.

Beyond SEC, students are looking forward to participating in the new spirit week. Freshman Audrey Berger hasn’t experienced major spirit events other than Homecoming Week and anticipates enjoying SPROCO.

“I’ve heard that (SPROCO) wasn’t really a strong tradition until this year, and I think it’s really cool that as a freshman, I get to experience that,” she said.