New on campus: Counselor Lorenzo Gomez joins community

Coming back to school has meant a slew of new rules and regulations. Administration has implemented masks and changed activities due to Covid protocols, and some staff members have transitioned into retirement. Amid that change, staff member Lorenzo Gomez has joined the Gunn counseling department.

Prior to Gunn, Gomez was the Menlo-Atherton High School registrar and spent five years there while studying to become a counselor in his university’s education graduate program. “I knew what I wanted to do and what my passion was, and that’s what made me become a counselor,” he said.

Gomez’s former experience as a registrar has helped him transition into the role of a counselor and better support Gunn students in all aspects of their high school careers. “I understand the fast-paced environment that’s here at Gunn, which has allowed me to transition smoothly,” he said.

With the introduction of new counselors, some of the pre-existing counselors have shifted some of their senior students to Gomez. As a result, it may be difficult for Gomez to write a quality recommendation letter or to support seniors with college applications. However, Gomez believes that he can still form strong relationships with seniors, regardless of time. “I’m looking forward to helping students to achieve what they want to achieve and being able to reach out to those around me,” he said.

$550
$1000