Junior+Airbands

Mihika Sane

Junior Airbands

This year, juniors are very excited to participate in homecoming activities to redeem themselves after their last-place finish in freshman year. Juniors Mylie Rodrigo, Madison Yue and Yongwon Choi have worked for months to prepare the airbands choreography. “We started at the beginning of summer, so now we have the mix and the main logistic parts of the dance down,” she said. 

After not being able to experience these fun events last year, both organizers and participants are excited to experience them once again. “Since we missed out on sophomore year, we’re like, Oh my gosh, we have to do well this year,” Rodrigo said. 

During their freshman year, not many people signed up, but this year, more people came out. “Freshman year, there were only like 20 people signed up,” Yue said. “But now we have around 50 signups, which is really exciting. Everyone’s really excited about it.”

The choreographers had their first meeting with the participants on Aug. 29, and have been holding weekly Airbands rehearsals since then. “During Airbands rehearsals, we teach the dance, and after we finish, we have snacks together and socialize,” Choi said.

Overall, they saw a lot more excitement and willingness from the participants at rehearsal than in past years. “Everyone knew how to control their bodies and how to listen,” Rodrigo said. “We got a lot done.” 

Along with Airbands, juniors are also preparing floats. Ethan Liang, a coordinator for the junior homecoming activities, has been setting up meetings to talk about possible ideas for their floats. “We’re still brainstorming, and [we’ve] got some really cool ideas,” Liang said. “We’re thinking about the traditional themes and also mixing in some new ideas.”

Junior homecoming activities are open to everyone, and students still have time to join the festivities. “It is a very unique experience that you will only ever get in high school, so we strongly urge people to join us,” Choi said.

$550
$1000