Chinyoung Shao

Arjun’s choice: “Scooby Doo and the curse of the 13th Ghost (2019)

Halloween movies are often characterized by countless jump scares, goosebump-inducing monsters and bloody gore that leaves the viewer in a state of panic. “Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost,” however, lacks many of these elements yet still manages to provide a thoroughly enjoyable Halloween movie experience.

The movie features Mystery Incorporation, a gaggle of paranormal detective friends, and the plot plays out in the typical Scooby-Doo fashion: the friends do their best to solve a mystery and fail due to their lack of teamwork, only for them to reunite at the end and solve the case. As the movie progresses, however, the viewer can see how the dynamics between the titular characters develop. This is best exemplified through the characters of Daphne and Fred. In this movie, Daphne emerges as a competent leader who guides the group through the many obstacles and dangers that they face. This leaves Fred questioning his role in the group. Fred’s feelings of insecurity resonate with emotions people face especially after COVID-19. Like Fred, people have to find their place in a world where
things have noticeably changed.

The parallels between the current day and the fictional world of the movie provide a new layer of enjoyment and perspective onto the viewing experience. “Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost” is not a run-of-the-mill Halloween movie, but instead a multifaceted study on the most constant force in the universe: change. So, as you settle down with a pile of candy to watch a movie on Halloween night, make sure “Scooby-Doo! and the Curse of the 13th Ghost” is on your watchlist.

$550
$1000