Gunn Drip: Seniors Jeannie Chung, Sky Evans share street style

As you get ready for school and pick out what to wear, keep in mind that two students walk the halls and observe their peers’ “fits,” looking for the next student to feature on Gunn’s latest social media fashion account Gunn Drip.

Created in Oct. 2021, Gunn Drip is an Instagram account created by seniors Jeannie Chung and Sky Evans to feature student fashion. Their posts include pictures of students’ outfits, captions detailing what those students are wearing and a rating.

The inspiration to create Gunn Drip came when Chung and Evans started to notice their peers’ everyday looks.“[Evans] and I were noticing aesthetic outfits on campus from both underclassmen and upperclassmen,” she said. “We were inspired by the outfits, and we wanted to showcase them in a virtual format so that other people could see the outfits and be inspired as well.”

After a few weeks running the account, Evans shifted his attitude towards his own fashion choices. “It’s interesting to see people so dressed up at school,” he said. “Sometimes, I’ll see something as cool at a thrift store, but I’ll be like, ‘I couldn’t wear that.’ But seeing people so dressed up makes you think more and makes you want to push the boundaries.”

Chung envisioned a more informal approach to posting on the account. “We wanted to have a platform where we could display all these students and staff in a way that is not super formal,” she said. “It’s just a casual, ‘look at my outfit’ type of thing.”

In each post, there is a rating of the outfit featured. The process that goes into each rating involves an in-depth analysis of how students generate their outfits.“We go over the general vibe of the outfit and take into consideration all the different components,” Chung said. “We know that an outfit that consists of just a sweatshirt, jeans and sneakers does not match the caliber of adding jewelry or other accessories. We take into account the effort each person puts into the outfit as a whole.”

Evans echoes Chung, stating that their ratings are less about the creators’ own taste in fashion. “It’s not about what I think drip is,” he said. “It’s more about how unique the drip is.”

Following the growth of their account, the co-owners created a Google Form for outfit submissions accessible at https://tinyurl.com/gunndrip or in their Instagram bio. Instead of being approached by either Evans or Chung, a student might get featured on Instagram by submitting a picture of their outfit, their name, their Instagram handle and what they are doing in the picture.

Chung and Evans came up with the submission form to expand their reach among students. “It’s kind of hard to keep track of people who had a quality fit but didn’t get our attention or cross paths with us,” Chung said. “If someone thinks that a certain outfit is cool, they can submit it, and we’ll consider it. It doesn’t guarantee a post, but it’s a good chance to get featured.”

In the future, the co-owners want to feature a wider variety of students. “Our main goal is to showcase more people and their outfits online. We want to inspire those who don’t get featured to try out new things and experiment with new materials, colors and styles,” Chung said.