Chinyoung Shao, Naomi Wang

English Teacher Mark Hernandez

On Valentine’s Day, instead of the typical red and pink color palette, English teacher Mark Hernandez opted for a black double-breasted suit and a gray and gold tie. The classic and traditional outfit was perfect for Hernandez’s Shakespeare class that day, where he was playing Claudius in “Hamlet.”

While Hernandez has a rule against layering patterns in multiple pieces of clothing, he makes sure to include something creative in every ensemble. “The one rule I know is that you have to match your shoes and your belt,” he said. “From there, it’s principles. Fashion is both risk-avoidance and a willingness to gamble.”

Hernandez wears a suit Monday through Thursday, but prefers a collared shirt and slacks or jeans on Friday. He dresses creatively yet professionally to reflect his attitude towards work. “I like to think that when students see me, they see someone who takes the job seriously but doesn’t take himself too seriously,” he said.

Statement suits are a clothing staple that perfectly encapsulate what Hernandez says is true about teaching: it’s hard work, but it should also be fun. “I have some rigid rules, principles and frameworks,” he said. “But within those frameworks, I want to have some fun.”

$550
$1000