Junior Noor Parak

For junior Noor Parak, Ramadan is not only a time to pray, but also to enjoy the company of loved ones.

Parak’s earliest memories of celebrating Ramadan stem from her visits to her grandparents’ house. “When Ramadan was in the summer, we used to always go to Canada, where my grandparents live,” she said. “We would celebrate with our whole family and fast together. At the end of Ramadan, there’s this big party called Eid al-Fitr. We’d do morning prayers and then celebrate with all of our family members.”

One of the most significant parts of Ramadan is the act of fasting, which one does from sunrise to sunset for 30 days, breaking the fast in the evening. Parak was eager to begin the practice of fasting for Ramadan at an early age. “Normally, you’re supposed to start around puberty,” she said. “I started at around 13, but some people start later or earlier. I remember as a kid, I always really wanted to fast, so my parents would let me [fast for] half of the day.”

Parak had a harder time fasting during the shelter-in-place period. Now that many COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted, however, Parak noticed that fasting has become easier. “It was definitely hard during the pandemic when there’s nothing really to do,” she said. “Now, I’d say [fasting is] easier [because I’m] surrounding myself more with people who are fasting.”

Despite the hardships that come with fasting, Parak finds the process to be a valuable experience for her entire family. “We’ve accomplished so much, especially after the 30 days are over,” she said.

For those who want to try out fasting, Parak offers advice on how to make it through the day. “Eat a big meal,” she said. “Try to keep yourself occupied to get your mind off of thinking about food.”

$550
$1000