Lynne Navarro, Social Studies

Social studies teacher Lynne Navarro is retiring this year after teaching for 25 years at Gunn. Navarro currently teaches Positive Psychology, but throughout the years, she has taught a multitude of classes including U.S. History, American Studies, Focus on Success and Spanish.

Navarro remembers a stand-out moment from her time teaching American Studies. “We got to take students on field trips to Angel Island and to see the murals in the mission district of San Francisco,’’she said. “For the final project, we had students pick a character either from history or from one of the novels and talk about how that person or that character would handle a current topic. The students just really ran with that in such amazing ways.”

Navarro will miss the amazing students and colleagues she has worked with over the years at Gunn. “I find the teachers here are really passionate about teaching their subject and about helping young people learn,” she said. “There are so many students at Gunn who feel very passionately about something, whether that’s a political cause
they’re into, robotics or theater. Students do really get very involved with things here, which is fantastic.”

After leaving Gunn, Navarro plans to move to her ranch in Gilroy. “I’m really looking forward to spending a whole lot of time by myself,”she said. “But I know that eventually I’m really going to miss the interaction of being here.”

$550
$1000