Victor Dang

Junior Andre Young: Halloween

On Halloween, which is celebrated on Oct. 31, many people dress up as monsters, ghosts or other characters as part of the holiday. Originally a religious holiday established to ward off dead souls and apparitions returning to the homes of the living, Halloween was popularized in the U.S. in the late 1850s by a new influx of immigrants, particularly from Ireland. Fast forward to the modern day, Halloween has evolved into a night of trick-or-treating, wearing costumes, eating candy and socializing among the younger generations. Junior Andre Young has participated in Halloween activities since he was a child. “I have celebrated Halloween for basically my whole life, ever since elementary school,” he said. Today’s Halloween has branched out from its religious origins. “I don’t consider myself as a religious person, and I don’t think that Halloween has the same religious ties as it did centuries ago,” Young said. In line with its roots, Halloween continues to be a time for meeting with old friends, as well as making new ones. “I have made dozens of friends of all ages just walking around the neighborhood trick-or-treating,” Young said. “As I grew up, the focus shifted from the candy and the costumes to spending valuable time with friends and family.” Halloween is also a chance for families to spend time together decorating their houses and preparing candy to distribute. “We haven’t really decorated our house for a while, but we will this year, since we will be moving into a new house,” Young said. “My sister is also returning home from college for the first time in four years, so decorating will be a fun family activity.” Young has already made plans for Halloween this year. “I’m excited for this Halloween [because] it’ll be the first one post-COVID,” Young said. “I’ll probably dress up as a Hawaiian tourist this time.”

$550
$1000