Spring forward into a restorative headspace

Practice self-care

In a world centered around productivity and hard work, self-care is crucial in maintaining efficiency. Self-care is especially important when it comes to preventing burnout, whether that be in school or any other part of life. With spring break quickly approaching, it could provide an excellent opportunity to take a breath and relax. While some people prefer reading, mindfulness, journaling, exercising, shopping or eating healthy, it is important to identify what type of self-care is most suitable for a proper and personal reset. Self-care is not confined to activities considered “calming” or “laid back”—it should entail whatever an individual finds interesting, pleasurable and overall relaxing. Also, self-care routines offer many psychological benefits such as decreased anxiety and depression, as well as increased happiness and adaptability in other situations.

Given its benefits, individuals should make sure to put some time aside and take care of themselves so that they can come back feeling refreshed and ready to work. Something as simple as asking “What do I want to do?” can make an impact on physical, emotional and social wellbeing.

Do spring cleaning

As the weather gets warmer and the scent of flowers wafts around, everyone knows spring is here. Many turn to spring cleaning as a reset or fresh start for the new season. According to the website Healthline, clearing clutter from one’s surrounding areas can have positive effects on their mood and efficiency. Not only that, but it can decrease the risk of injuries or illnesses. When looking around a messy house, tidying up may seem like a daunting task at first. Starting the cleaning process is the hardest part. However, there are tips and tricks to scrape together the motivation to get those hands working. Examples of such include making an exciting checklist, listening to music or playing a podcast. Doing these can help alleviate the boredom associated with cleaning and make the cumbersome task a bit more interesting.

Catch up on sleep

Many students know all too well the amount of suffering that results from deadline-induced lack of sleep. Horrifying sleep schedules consisting of three-in-the-morning bedtimes only become more common with AP testing on the horizon. Breaks are a great opportunity to reset one’s sleep schedule and catch up on all the Z’s they missed.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, high schoolers need eight to 10 hours of sleep per night—meaning that students should not prioritize binging a book series, watching a TV show or playing video games over much-needed rest. For many, eight to 10 hours can seem unachievable during high work seasons, but taking the time to reset and stick to a schedule can improve performance more than one thinks. Thus, getting enough sleep during spring break is crucial, as it will increase efficiency, help improve concentration and boost academic performance. Instead of falling into the old ways of a 3 a.m. to 8 a.m. schedule, use spring break as a time to go to bed and wake up at a reasonable and healthy hour.

Organize your space

Unlike spring cleaning, organizing your space focuses on rearranging rather than decluttering. This allows for more creativity and freedom. When cleaning communal spaces, one should account for the preferences of people who use the space. One can tailor their item layouts to their own convenience without bothering others. Moreover, personalization can make one feel more comfortable and connected to that specific space, leading to increased productivity and enjoyment. Examples of personalization can include creating a unique color palette, introducing fun stationery, fairy lights and placing a few stuffed animals or figurines around. Something as simple as adding a mug for pens and pencils to a desk or wiping down an ink-splattered area can greatly increase productivity. Especially as busy high school students, working spaces are a large part of life and can be highly reflective of one’s work. Try organization for better quality of work and overall better quality of life.