Denmark: Sophomore Christina Finne-Ipsen

Sophomore Christina Finne-Ipsen moved to Jyllinge, Denmark, from Palo Alto at the age of 2. After hearing about the exchange program “Explorius” from a friend, she decided to travel abroad with the program herself, and was excited to see that she would return to Palo Alto. “I wanted to challenge myself to be in a new country with a different language and culture,” she said.

Finne-Ipsen decided on the U.S. in particular because she was already familiar with English, and wanted to see the reality of living in the US. “I see it on social media and it’s very different from European teenage life,” she said.

A difference Finne-Ipsen noticed between Palo Alto and Denmark is that school is far more focused on grades in Palo Alto. “In Denmark, high school is more for fun and a time for friends,” she said. 

In her first few months as an exchange student, Finne-Ipsen found it difficult to adjust to the regimented schedule between school, homework and sports that many students have in Palo Alto. “Back in Denmark, you go out with people after school, to the mall or a cafe,” she said. “You don’t eat dinner at home.(Instead), you’re out with your friends. Sports are a thing, but not a lot of people do (them) in high school.”

Finne-Ipsen also found that students in Palo Alto are generally more sheltered than those in Denmark. “There’s a lot of things that kids are not allowed to do (in Palo Alto),” she said. “The parents are really protective.” 

She was surprised by the difference in school spirit between Denmark and Palo Alto. “Everybody is just so hyped, and that’s a feeling I want to take back to Denmark,” she said. 

Her most memorable moments at Gunn were during homecoming week. “There’s so much community,” she said. “Everybody was just dressed up and (and) it was amazing that everybody was so happy to be at school and be together.” Along with enjoying participating in school events, Finne-Ipsen also likes how Palo Alto has a little of everything to explore. “There are stores, there is nature (and)generally a lot to do,” she said.

Nearing her last few months in the Bay Area, Finne-Ipsen will miss the school opportunities and inclusive environment at Gunn the most. “Here, school is not just school, but it’s a place where you can do sports, be part of clubs (and) do whatever you want,” she said. “I feel like there’s a space for everybody here because there’s so much diversity.”

$550
$1000

• V

Vikram ValameApr 14, 2023 at 10:13 pm

Thanks for Christina for sharing her experience.

The increased workload of Palo Alto/America compared to Denmark is concerning, given that many people seem to be saying that American students are significantly less independent regardless of the pressure to perform.

Reply