Isha Sinha

Ed R. Levin County Park in Milpitas offers a great view and many recreational activities.

Ed R. Levin County Park

Located between Milpitas and the Mission Park Regional Preserve, the 1,558-acre Ed R. Levin County Park features mountainous trails overlooking the Spring Valley Pond and Bay Bridge. The park is open nearly every day from 8 a.m. to sunset with a $6 entry fee.

The park’s views become even more striking at sunset, with the dimly lit city skyline resembling a scene straight out of a movie. Although the spectacular skyline view from the top of the 800-foot-tall mountains requires hiking a few trails, the journey is less demanding than that of Mission Peak, which boasts a similar view. On the way down from the peaks, visitors pass a quaint lake and waterfall. They can visit a herd of cattle or enjoy hang gliding, hiking and horseback riding around the park. The bottom of the mountain features a fishing lake, playground structures and lawn areas with picnic tables. The relative obscurity of the location only adds to its scenic beauty — unlike other hikes, there are few crowds.

Don’t let the beauty of the trail completely bewitch you: On the mountain peaks, be aware of rattlesnakes and other wildlife. Also, be sure to carry water and snacks, as walking the trails to the top can take several hours. Although the longer trails may be slightly arduous, the sight from the top of the hill is worth all the effort.

$550
$1000