Blood+Drive

Blood Drive

On April 21, the Stanford Blood Center collaborated with the Youth Community Service Club to hold a blood drive in the library from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Volunteers and staff members helped set up and clean up the event and check in donors. Donating was open to those who met the requirements: weighing over 110 pounds if 19 or older, being free of cold and flu symptoms and being over 17 years old. Students under 17 needed consent forms signed by a parent or guardian to donate.

Donors gave blood during a prep period, brunch or lunch. On average, the process took around 25 minutes: Each donor got their blood drawn for five to 10 minutes and then had a mandatory refreshment period of 15 minutes.

Donor junior Analiesse Schoenen found the process convenient. “It’s awesome that the blood drive comes to Gunn, so people can donate without having to go out of their way to do it,” she said. “It’s an easy way to make a difference.”

Volunteer Dan Rose, who has been working with the Stanford Blood Center for 11 years, echoed this sentiment. “I appreciate the schools that let us come to their facilities,” he said. “It’s not something that they have to do, but they do it because they know it’s a good cause. People are less likely to come down to the centers.”

Blood technician Issac Durant noted how donating blood is a great way to give back to the community. “You don’t know where your blood is going, but it’s going to somebody that needs it,” he said.

$550
$1000