Denim+Day

Denim Day

On April 26, students and faculty participated in Denim Day, a campaign that occurs on the last Wednesday of April to spread awareness about sexual assault and victim blaming. Denim Day originated from the overturning of an Italian Supreme Court rape case in which the justices concluded that because the victim was wearing tight jeans, she must have helped her rapist remove them and therefore consented. The following day, women in the Italian parliament came to work in tight jeans to stand in solidarity with the victim.

To show support for survivors of sexual assault and harassment, the Title IX Club hosted a lunch event called “Chalk Flowers for Survivors.” Junior Annabel Honigstein, co-president of the Title IX Club and a Forum editor for The Oracle, emphasized the importance of commemorating the day. “Every year we draw flowers and positive, kind messages on concrete surfaces to show our support for survivors,” she said.

The Title IX Club also organized an informational session with district Title IX Coordinator Robert Andrade. According to Honigstein, the event aimed to educate students about district policies and reach a wider audience through advertising.

Junior Anika Jayanth participated in the session and found it to be informative. “I learned how the district goes about (handling) sexual assault complaints,” she said. “I learned how there are varying degrees of intensity when it comes to sexual assault and how each of them is dealt with differently.”

$550
$1000