Mariam Kubursi

Visitors can see the vibrant view of the cityscape from Twin Peaks.

Twin Peaks

Twin Peaks, located at the geographical heart of San Francisco, offers visitors unparalleled panoramic views of the cityscape and a peek at what San Francisco’s hills may have looked like prior to urbanization. On clear days — as rare as they may be in San Francisco — you can spot the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, the Marin Headlands and downtown-San Francisco skyscrapers. Also, look out for the Mission blue butterfly, a species that only exists in certain areas of the world, including the slopes of Twin Peaks.

If you’re planning on visiting, wear sturdy shoes, as the inclines and declines can be relatively steep. Also, be sure to avoid poison oak on unestablished trails, and expect strong winds. Sunrise and sunset are the best times to visit if you want to avoid crowds (as bonus, the view is most picturesque at these times). Still, be wary of thieves, as there have been several recent incidents of robbery after dark.

To get to the Twin Peaks, hike up the 0.7-mile trail, or one of the various more strenuous hikes to the southern or eastern sides of the park. Whether you are looking for the perfect shot or simply want to bask in the beauty of a San Francisco sunset, Twin Peaks is a must-see.

$550
$1000