Features on two Special Education students

Freshman Caroline Wu
Freshman Caroline Wu

Freshman Caroline Wu could not be happier to be starting high school: She loves participating in new activities, learning on a new campus and meeting new people. In her first semester of freshman year, she has already shown her school spirit by attending events like the homecoming rallies and the Halloween parade. Wu’s frequent jokes and pranks, as well as her participation around campus, have helped her make plenty of new friends.

“I am already a freshman, (and) I can’t believe (that) I am almost 15,” she said.

Wu is often described as social and friendly, and very fun to be around. These qualities and her overall extroverted personality have helped make her a positive presence on campus. Wu is especially passionate about the arts — she loves watching musicals like “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Wizard of Oz.” Her favorite subject in school is Art Spectrum, in which she enjoys creating art in various styles and expressing herself in any way she can.

“(I like) just being creative, also painting and sewing things,” she said.

Outside of school, Wu enjoys swimming and ice skating, as well as traveling, which allow her to explore new places and see new things. No matter where she is, Wu is actively making new friends and leaving a positive impact on those around her

Senior Soichiro Yanagihara
Senior Soichiro Yanagihara

Senior Soichiro Yanagihara, better known as So, has an infectious smile. It’s there as he makes his way to school on his bike, and persists as he participates in school activities such as Best Buddies Club and “Coffeeology.” Coffeeology is one of Yanagihara’s favorite activities at school, in which he, alongside other Futures students, buys ingredients, bakes pastries and sells coffee to faculty every Thursday to build social and living skills as well as raise money for the Futures program.

“We sell cookies and lattes, and make banana bread, chocolate chip cookie(s), dog biscuits, (and) overnight oats,” he said.

Yanagihara also enjoys cheering on friends and classmates while playing pickleball and soccer in his favorite class, Unity PE. During breaks and Study Hall, he also pursues a bit of entertainment.

“I love watching garbage truck videos,” he said.

At home, Yanagihara likes reading, listening to songs like Bruno Mars’ “24K Magic” and “sitting on the couch, turning on the TV and eating chips” — he’s a fan of the Food Network. In his free time, Yanagihara loves to go to the Hiller Aviation Museum with his family.

Yanagihara also works at the Palo Alto Veterans Affairs Medical Center for about four hours a week, where he breaks down boxes, throws out trash and helps clean. A kind, supportive problem solver, Yanagihara loves his job and school activities because they allow him to work with and help others daily.