Fire alarm system to be replaced following multiple false alarms

Source: PAUSD Board of Education

On Oct. 24, the PAUSD Board of Education approved a $1.59 million contract to Aram Electric for installing a new Gunn fire alarm system.

The decision comes after several false alarms in the past year, caused by the current sensors’ susceptibility to hot weather. According to Assistant Principal of Safety Dr. Mycal Hixon, the new fire alarm system is expected to be installed by August 2024.

We’ll make sure that we communicate (with students) because we’re updating and testing (the alarms), and we want to minimize the negative impact of this project on Gunn students.”

— Assistant Principal Dr. Mycal Hixon

Though it will need to be modified on a site-by-site basis, the new system will serve as the district-wide standard across all campuses, according to PAUSD Director of Facilities and Construction Eric Holm. With the current fire alarm system, the loss of power in a single building can prevent other buildings’ fire alarms from working.

“Most fire alarms are wired in series, building by building, so when you do work on a building, everything downstream of that building goes offline,” Holm said. “The new system works on building a node model so each building communicates directly with the main control panel. That way, if any building goes offline, all the other buildings can stay online.”

The new alarms will have a greater tolerance for high temperatures. According to Holm, Gunn’s heat and smoke sensors are in buildings’ warm attic spaces, so on hot days, the current sensors have falsely detected fire. The new sensors will have a higher heat index, so these false alarms will occur less frequently.

According to Hixon, the installation will primarily take place on the weekends and after school to minimize disruption of classroom time.

“We’ll make sure that we communicate (with students) because we’re updating and testing (the alarms), and we want to minimize the negative impact of this project on Gunn students,” he said.