Revived Gunn Style Watch continues passion for fashion

Maddie Cheung

Founded in 2017 by Gunn alumna Dajiana Huang, Gunn Style Watch (@gunnstylewatch on Instagram) was revived last year by then-senior Fae Crane, who aimed to showcase the diversity of styles and student identities on campus. The account features students with unique outfits at Gunn, detailing their sources of inspiration and clothing brands. After graduating, Crane passed down the account to junior Beverly Lamis and sophomore Ollie Fong, who have since injected new life through revamped features.

“We ended up contacting the original Gunn Style Watch because my sister knows the person who ran it, and we asked for the old logins so we could revive the actual original account,” Lamis said.

Lamis and Fong, who have been interested in style for years, recalled enjoying Crane’s posts. “I remember when Fae was running the revived account last year, I really wanted to be (featured) on it,” Fong said. “I’ve always been involved with clothing and fashion. I sew a lot.”

For Fong, this affinity for sewing and clothing creation runs in the family.

“Both my grandmothers were seamstresses when they came to the United States,” he said. “I also remember that my aunt used to make a lot of jewelry as a hobby. Right before freshman year, I decided to get a sewing machine, and my grandparents really helped me learn how to do the basics and everything.”

Beginning by altering his clothes, Fong eventually learned how to create his own clothing, and he plans to start selling clothes of his own brand in the near future.

Lamis’ work on the costume crew for Gunn’s performance-arts program has exposed her to a variety of styles beyond streetwear. A casual thrifter, she enjoys visiting the Goodwill bins in San Francisco to find unique pieces.

Both account managers aim to showcase individuality, choosing students whose confidence shines through their styles.

“Or we’re just looking for people we think look cool,” Fong said.

Q&A with Gunn Style Watch

The Oracle: Favorite brand?

Beverly Lamis: “I’m into the Adidas hype right now, like the Sambas — even though they’re overhyped.”

Ollie Fong: “Myself.”

TO: Fashion trend out for the year?

BL: “I’m not a super big fan of bows, like the coquette style. Also (Nike) Air Forces.”

OF: “Adidas out. I’m also sick of seeing the black leggings with the white Nike socks and the Uggs.”

TO: Favorite fashion color palette?

BL: “I like seeing different shades of monochrome, and I wish Gunn had more of that. I also like neutrals, like greens and stuff.”

TO: Future fashion trend prediction?

OF: “I want to see loafers.”