Local theaters offer varying viewing experiences

Landmark Aquarius Theatre
Landmark Aquarius Theatre

Celebrating its 50-year anniversary, Landmark Aquarius Theatre is an old-fashioned theater that frequently shows independent films and foreign films such as “Le Regne animal (The Animal Kingdom).” Located in the heart of downtown Palo Alto on Emerson Street, viewers can swing by various restaurants or shops after enjoying a film. Although the concessions area and lobby is small, the golden hanging lights, movie posters and display cases filled with colorful packages of candy and drinks give the theater a distinct retro style. The staff is also friendly and converses easily with patrons.

Aquarius only has two theaters — one with reclining seats and one without. With a smaller, lower-resolution screen and speakers at only the front of the theater, the viewing quality is akin to that of a home TV. Although there is less space between seats than in other theaters, when I went, the theater was mostly empty, allowing for some privacy between parties. During humorous or suspenseful moments in the movie, I often appreciated the smaller separation, allowing me to lean over and chat with friends. That being said, for those seeking an immersive experience, larger theaters may be the way to go.

Cinemark Century Mountain View 16
Cinemark Century Mountain View 16

My first impression upon arriving at Cinemark Century Mountain View 16 was the theater’s sheer size. From the outside — with a bubbling fountain and wide entryway topped with bold lettering — to the spacious main atrium, the theater brings a grandeur that at-home streaming simply cannot compete with. Though the ticketing process was quick, buying food and drinks required a longer wait due to the crowded concessions area. Along with a sitting area and many life-size movie posters to take photos with, the main atrium also features a small arcade with classic games such as skeeball, claw machines and racing simulations.

With 16 theaters, Cinemark Century offers the greatest variety of movies and showing times. That said, I found that it was also the busiest location. Since most of the seats were filled — especially those in the center — I was forced to sit up front, taking away from the otherwise optimal viewing quality brought by the clean recliner seats and large screen. To guarantee the best experience, I recommend booking tickets early online. While Cinemark Century requires a longer trip from Palo Alto, the theater has something to offer to everyone.

Showplace Icon Theatre
Showplace Icon Theatre

Opened in 2018 at the edge of Mountain View’s San Antonio Center, the Showplace ICON Theatre and Kitchen is the newest local movie theater. The three-story building features 10 theaters, a concessions area and a restaurant serving American comfort foods as well as seasonal specials. Visitors can watch a variety of newly released movies and, occasionally, older films or recorded concerts and operas.

When I began visiting movie theaters for these reviews, I thought the sound and screen quality would be similar across the board. As the lights dimmed and the opening fanfare of “The Boys in the Boat” began, however, I was enveloped in ICON’s layers of sound. Combined with the high-resolution screen that amplified suspense and brought the details to life, I was practically transported into the film. Each theater also features wide aisles and heated recliners with small tables attached to the arms. I’m usually someone who prefers watching movies at home — why leave the comfort of the couch, especially with the accessibility of streaming platforms? But ICON, bridging comfort and enhanced visuals, helped me understand the appeal of theatergoing.