Top 5 places to study around Palo Alto

Written by Jenna Marvet

Studying at home can be boring, while studying at school can be crowded and distracting. With finals just around the corner, here is a list of local spots that are great for studying. Please note that hours are subject to change.

1. Mitchell Park Library

Address:   3700 Middlefield Road Palo Alto, CA 94303

Hours:       10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday-Sunday

The new library adjacent to Mitchell Park is a great place to study. The downstairs teen room is perfect for working with groups on presentations and projects, while the upstairs area is a quieter floor for personal studying. The library also provides free guest Wi-Fi and a multitude of outlets, especially in the teen room, for charging your computer.

1.  Happy Donuts

Address: 3916 El Camino Real Palo Alto, CA 94306

Hours: Open 24/7

Perfect for the late-night studier and  last-minute cram sessions, Happy Donuts is open 24/7. There are long tables with lots of space for your work, Wi-Fi and of course, coffee and donuts to keep you awake.

1. Red Rock Cafe

Address: 201 Castro St, Mountain View, CA 94041

Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday

A little bit more of a drive, but this coffee shop has great Wi-Fi and an upstairs loft to separate yourself from the main floor crowd. Bring some headphones as sometimes the upstairs area can get a little loud during busy hours.

1. College Terrace Library

Address: 2300 Wellesley Street Palo Alto, CA 94306

Hours: 10 a.m.- 6 p.m.Tuesday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday-Sat, closed Sunday, Monday and Thursday

For those of us who are not adventurous enough to sneak into one of Stanford’s student libraries, College Terrace is a public Palo Alto library just adjacent to the Stanford campus. There is free Wi-Fi as well as loaner laptops and computers. Smaller and with spottier hours than other public libraries, it tends to be less crowded.

1. HanaHaus

Address: 456 University Ave, Palo Alto, CA 94301

Hours: Sunday-Thursday: 7 a.m.-9 p.m., Friday-Saturday: 7 a.m.-10 p.m.

HanaHaus is a cross between a cafe and a workspace. Work areas can be rented from a $3 per hour work table to a $75 per hour conference room. If you are not looking to pay for space, there is also an outside courtyard and cafe with free tables available. The cafe serves Blue Bottle Coffee, sandwiches and pastries to keep you energized  through your study session. Reserve space beforehand at hanahaus.com.