National Art Honor Society hosts annual Chalk Art Challenge

Written by Evalyn Li

The National Art Honor Society (NAHS) is hosting the Chalk Art Challenge during Not In Our Schools Week. “The goal of [the Chalk Art Challenge] is to spread positivity around campus,” club President senior Avni Joshi said. “You get into a group of a couple people, you plan out your design and you submit it.”

Students submitted their designs two weeks ago and have been working on their pieces throughout this past week. Groups will finish their chalk art murals by this Friday. Joshi believes chalk is a good medium for spreading uplifting messages and that the murals will reach many students walking between the quad and the K building. “We don’t see a lot of art [around campus],” Joshi said. “Seeing everyone’s reactions, it’s kind of like a breath of fresh air.”

Club Vice President junior Elizabeth Zu wants to bring NAHS and art to the forefront of Gunn’s student work. “We want to have a more public active presence in the Gunn community because I think the art department is there, but people don’t really see it everyday,” Zu said.

Joshi also hopes to continue use art as a tool of impacting the entire student body. “This year our main goal is to use art to spread awareness and advocacy for different things,” Joshi said.